Thursday, July 23, 2009

Hershey





I stayed in Hershey until Friday morning so that left tons of time to hang out with the family so that's what we did.

Wednesday and Thursday we went to Hershey Park and I got to ride the newest ride, Farenheight. This roller coaster boasts a 98* initial drop. That's right, more than vertical! When we were all walking past it my cousin Grace urged me to go on it, saying the line wasn't very long. I trusted her, thinking the line would be about a 30 minute wait from what I could see, so I jumped in line. The line was only about a quarter of capacity so things were looking good. Half an hour came and went and I was still no where near the front of the line. I contemplated leaving then but thoguht better of it. Finally, after an hour or so of waiting I got to the front of the line; about stinkin' time. Sitting in the front seat, the view was pretty cool and left nothing to hide the impending drops, loops and rolls. Awesome! One roller coaster down, many, many more to go.

Over the course of the two days we rode everything from the carnival slides to looping roller coasters. Even my youngest cousin Alex got into the mix. He JUST met the height requirement to get on the "big" coasters and we took full advantage of that. After the first ride on the Super Dooper Looper next to me, Alex sat next to Grace and they both were screaming for joy together. It was pretty cool to see them having so much fun on the rides.

On the second day that we were at the park weather played a factor. We got there a couple minutes after the park opened to get in line for the big rides but with some thunder storms in the area everything was on hold. Fortunately the rides opened not too long after getting in line and I again got on to the first car of Farenheight, after a lengthy wait. By the time I got off the ride my aunt, Madeline, had to go and pick up Alex from camp. That left Grace and I to fend for ourselves. Next up, was the Lightning Racer, a dueling wooden roller coaster. On our walk over it started to rain lightly so we hurried up to make the ride before they closed it. We were able to jump on the first seat of the car when we got there and srapped in for the ride. Right about then we looked out of the start house only to see that the rain had increased in intensity, considerably so. At least we were being nice to everyone behind us by blocking some rain. The subsequent water ride was actually pretty fun except the stinging rain to the eyes everytime we tried to look where we were going. Getting off the ride we were SOAKED! The front of our clothes were drenched but our backs were completely dry. Now the goal was to find any ride that wasn't out in the open. About this time we talked to my aunt and decided to bail on the park and go have lunch somewhere dry. After lunch we came back to the park for more fun and even got Madeline to go on a roller coaster! It was on that roller coaster that I broke my camera. there is now a crack in the LCD screen and a big black spot in the middle of the screen.

On the Friday that I left we went out for a nice breakfast and I noticed something "new" on the menu: scrapple. Madeline had never had it but thought it was gross anyways. So I ordered it, along with some pancakes and sausage.

When the meal came I was in awe of the pancakes, they were HUGE! The sausage was generous and the scrapple was loafish. It all looked good. For those of you that haven't tried scrapple let me save you the hassle, it's gross. It was meaty cornmeal or something horrible on that line of thought. Fortunately the rest of the meal was really good and quite filling.

Pictures

No comments:

Post a Comment