Friday, July 3, 2009

Back into Canada


Day 13 - Dimondale to Niagara Falls - June 23, 2009

On the road again! It's a short drive to Dearborn but at 10am it's already sweltering. To take the place of my GPS I need to get some paper maps that I'll be able to put into the map pocket on my tank bag. I looked up AAA locations last night and found one close to the museum so I made my way there. YOu shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet since I ended up in some residential area. I bailed on this attempt and went to the museum.

The Henry Ford Museum is pretty impressive. It had exhibits of industrial acheivments throughout history. Pretty impressive stuff. My main focus for the day was the automobile and mototcycle sections. The car section had several really impressive cars on display that were fairly historic but one section over there were some horrible examples. The exhibit featuring the cars of rock stars was unimpressive as a whole but there were a couple of neat cars.

The race cars were very cool and I loved seeing some old favorites and learning new history. There were some cool motorcycles from the early days too. nnAfter a couple of hours I was tired of walking and carrying my tank bag and helmet around so I headed out.

I got directions to a post office and AAA headquarters and finally got everything I needed taken care of. Off I went to Canada.

Crossing the border for the third time had me prepared for what to expect but it's still annoying. Everytime I get the third degree about what I'm carrying in my luggage and why I'm coming into the country and who I'm seeing, etc. I know it's their job but it's a little bit stressful. I'm glad that actually being in Canada makes up for it.

Making it through the border I continue on towards Niagara Falls. I stopped in the town of Hamilton for gas and directions but looking around the town was really cool. It had a funky feel to it that I really liked.

It was a short drive to St. Catharines and to meet Jennifer (Gammagirl) and her family. I got to her place just before everyone returned home but that gave me the time to setup my gear and take a look at my bike. Some good conversation and it was time to turn in for the night. It'll be an early morning tomorrow.

Pictures

No comments:

Post a Comment