Friday, July 3, 2009

The two week mark



Day 14 - Niagara Falls to Kingston - June 24, 2009
We woke up early to meet up with Mark (MGB) for an early morning ride to the Niagara Falls. The ride was gorgeous and the twisty roads welcomed. The falls are impressive, for lack of a better word. I've seen shows on it and pictures but it was nothing compared to being there. The power of the falls was intense and finding o9ut that what I saw was only a quarter of the water that would naturally be flowing was crazy.

Packing up, I headed to Toronto to meet Dmitriy (Levchen) for lunch. The city is pretty impressive and reminded me of a mix of SF and New York City. The free bike parking was pretty nice too. It's been really nice meeting people in person that I've known online for a while. It was great getting to sit down with Dmitriy for even the brief time that we did.

Heading out of the city was frustrating to say the least because of traffic from construction, accidents and general city life. I really wish lanesharing was legal here. It gets REALLY hot sitting in traffic.

I had a couple of route options to get to Kingston, the affectionately named "Bore-oh-one" (401) or Highway 7. I chose the more enjoyable route. What I didn't account for was that the road signs didn't list the main highway numbers that I wanted to take. I ended up missing my exit and taking some country road with a speed limit of 50 kph. That's only 30mph! I was stuck on that road, behind another car for what seemed like an hour. To make matters worse the road I took looped around back to the 401. Blah.

Finally, I got onto the right road and took the scenic way. It turns out that I was within a few miles of Wes and Woot's infamous "Inappropriate machine for the road" trail. I'm somewhat glad I didn't end up on THAT road.

Off to meet Wes I go amd finding his place was easy enough by address but he had his bike parked at the end of his driveway to make it even easier. I was greeted at the door by Wes and introduced to his dogs. As soon as Scotty ran in the door he piddled then walked to the front door and lifted his leg. What an introduction. lol

The rest of the night went without incident and there was good conversation. When Shelly got home all of the Canadians laughed at me when I was amazed by their bagged milk... Apparently Wes takes pleasure in freaking out Americans with this Canadian staple.

Niagara in action

Pictures

No comments:

Post a Comment