Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Ithaca goes to Washington

July 28th, 2009
Chatham, NJ to Fairfax, VA

Today was a lazy day, getting on the road from Alan's house to John's at the crack of noon. I went a very non-direct route through the New Jersey countryside stopping for lunch at Costco. This Costco was unique, at least to me, in that it sold French Fries. Very weird.

The clouds were ever present today and were spectacular. Stopped at a light I saw these overhead...



With the weather that I've encountered on this trip I've really taken a fascination with the clouds around me. There is something beautiful and serene about looking up that them, even while doing 70mph on the freeway.

Continuing on I stumbled across this church that just emerged from the trees. With the combination of the trees around it and the overcast skies the building was very eye catching.



Passing through the south eastern corner of Pennsylvania I got the great idea to stop in Philadelphia for some quick photo ops with the historical sights there. Making this deciscion at the last minute I hurriedly got off the freeway too early and ended up in North Philly, I think. I used my GPS to find the local attractions and specifically the Liberty Bell. Do you know how many points of interest there are in Philly with the word "Liberty" in the name? A LOT! It took several pages of searching to get the right attraction but I got it. Getting back on the freeway I passed by this cool little mural.



Making my way downtown I forgot that the bell is not just out in the open so that photo op went out the window. I circled the area and got what I could though.



Out of the city I was greeted by traffic and rain, two of my least favorite things. I made my way straight to John's house after that to beat the incessant heat and humidity. Not to be outdone by Philly, Northern Virginia gave me 20 miles of stop and go traffic.

I finished off the day with a very delicious meal of spaghetti with Sriracha Marinara sauce. Quite tasty!!!

More pictures

No comments:

Post a Comment